Tuesday 12 April 2011

Question 3 - What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why? Question 3

We wanted to make a film that fit in with the conventional horror genre after research of recent releases of horror films it appears there is a lack of mainstream horror genre films compared to other genres such as Comedy. However although the decrease of releases of horror films is occurring after research on the internet I still found a large target audience that favour the horror genre, this is proved with Dawn of the dead (2004) which was shown on 2745 screens on its opening weekend and a more recent film ‘Paranormal activity 2’ (2010) was shown on 3216 screens on its opening weekend. This shows that there is still a large target market for the horror genre, however these films are of the same genre but do not particularly link to my own film so I researched a film that was like ours to see the popularity of this certain type of horror I looked at the popularity of the film ‘Scream’ (1996) this film links strongly with our film as both involve a antagonist in a mask murdering/stalking a female victim, our film follows the same conventions as this film with the stereotypical use of blood, darkness and murder. I did not look at the first scream as this was released in (1996) so I looked at the third scream ‘Scream 3’ (2000) this way I have a more recent outlook on the popularity. ‘Scream 3’ (2000) still shows signs of popularity with it being shown on 3467 screens on its opening weekend, this shows that this type of horror genre ‘slasher’ is still a popular type of film for this reason I believe our film would be released to a mainstream audience as we follow the same conventions as other horror genre films that have become big famous titles. Our film because it follows these stereotypical conventions could be produced by such companies as Evolution entertainment which is an independent American film production company, we could use this company as our film is like other films released by this company such as SAW (2004) which is like our film through the use of a psychotic male antagonist and the extreme use of blood.
As our film follows stereotypical conventions of a horror ‘slasher’ genre and as there is large popularity for these types of films our film will be distributed to a mass audience, our film will be shown to a mass mainstream audience so I needed to research into mass mainstream distributors and cinema lines to enable I distribute the film correctly and aim towards my target audience. I feel the most successful distributors to use would be ‘Entertainment film distribution’ this company is very successful and has distributed other horror films that have the same convention as ours for example Halloween 2 (2009) SAW (2004) and are yet to be the distributors of Scream 4 which will be released later in 2011. As my film is alike these films in terms of conventions it is clear that this distribution company are successful at ensuring the films reach the correct target audience proof of this is that the film SAW (2004) was shown on 301 screens in the opening weekend, this is not a lot compared to some films but it obviously hit the correct target market, I can tell this by looking at the sequel to the film SAW 2 (2005) was shown on 2949 screens in the opening weekend, so clearly when the first SAW (2004) was distributed, it was done well to the correct target audience leading to the success of the second film. The film would be distributed firstly to cinemas, the cinemas I chose to distribute too were Cineworld and Odeon as these are the two most famous cinemas in the UK gathering thousands od customers a year between them, by distributing my film to these cinemas it will enable my film to be shown to a larger amount of people, my target audience will use these cinemas to watch films as they are the most popular in the UK so by distributing my film to these cinemas I will defiantly hit my target market.
After a while of my film being shown in cinemas I will distribute my film to famous video stalls such as HMV. I would also distribute my film online and on I Tunes, I feel by releasing my film online as my target market is mainly the teenage population by distributing online I will reach to them and therefore they will notice my film more if it is advertised and sold on their favourite popular websites. The reason for distributing my film on I tunes is because my target market will be lovers of music and will therefore probably have an I pod as this is the most popular music player, so if they have an I pod they will have access to I tunes and will notice my film so this will help me when distributing to reach my target audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment